Comic Balloons - Photoshop Tutorial
When creating comic strips or cartoon images, it's handy to be able to express what the cartoon characters are saying in the strip. In this tutorial, we'll take a step-by-step approach on how to create (from scratch) the cartoon dialogue balloons. The two most important being speech balloons and thought balloons.
1. Open up a photo of a cartoon image that you've drawn in wich you want to add the comic balloon.
2. Create a new layer. Name it "Balloon".
3. With the "Balloon" layer selected, click the Eliptical Marquee tool.
4. To create a Speech Ballon, start by drawing an oval selection.
5. Next, select the Lasso tool. Hold down the and draw a small shape pointing to the character in the scene.
6. Choose "white" color from the Swatches palette. Then using the Paint Bucket tool, fill in your selection with white.
7. Press CTRL+D to deselect your selection.
8. Finally, right click the "Balloon" layer from the layers palette. Choose "Blending Options".
9. The "Layer Styles" pop-up will appear. Click the "Stroke" checkbox at the bottom. Change the stroke properties to the following:
10. Click OK to accept the changes and close the "Layer Styles" pop-up box.
11. You should now have your Comic Speech Balloon.
12. Now all you need to do is add some text into the balloon and you're done!
13. Feel free to do this same tutorial, but instead use the Eliptical Marquee tool to create "Thought Baloons".