Chalk Text Effect - Photoshop Tutorial
Here's a fun, yet easy to follow tutorial that shows how to make a chalk effect that looks like it's on asphalt texture.
1. Open a new document in Photoshop. Set the dimensions to 550x150 px.
2. Create a new layer. Name it "Asphalt".
3. Use the Paint Bucket tool and fill in the entire layer with black.
4. Goto Filter > Sketch > Reticulation.
Set Density: 12
Set Foreground Level: 40
Set Background Level: 5
Click OK to accept changes.
5. You should now have an asphalt texture similar to the following:
6. Now select the Type tool and select white as your color. Type a word over the asphalt texture. In this tutorial, we'll type "PHOTOSHOP".
7. Change the layer properties for the text layer to "Overlay".
8. Goto Layer > Duplicate Layer... Click OK when the duplicate layer pop-up appears.
9. Goto Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur. Click OK when asked to rasterize the type.
10. The Guassian Blur pop-up will then appear. Set the Radius to 3.5 pixels. Click OK to accept changes.
11. Repeat steps 9 and 10 to create a third text layer that has been blurred with the Gaussian Blur filter.
12. If you followed the preceding steps correctly, you should have three (3) text layers that says "PHOTOSHOP". One that is still a type layer and two duplicate layers above it that have been rasterized and blurred with the Guassian Blur filter.
13. This will result in your final chalk on asphalt text effect.